Xylitol is a 100% natural sweetener without the side-effects of sugar and artificial sweeteners. It also has a number of key advantages not normally associated with sugar alternatives.
Xylitol is spelt with an “x” but pronounced as a “z”. Found naturally in fruits like strawberries, raspberries and plums, and trees such as birch, xylitol is also produced in our own bodies. Spoon for spoon as sweet as sugar, Xylitol leaves a fresh, sweet taste lingering in the mouth, and is safe – approved by the World Health Organisation, Food Standards Australia New Zealand as well as over 50 countries worldwide.
Xylitol can be used where sugar is normally used so now you can enjoy the foods that you want to, without the guilt! Xylitol has the following benefits:
- 100% natural sweetener
- Tastes just like sugar – but better
- Low glycaemic index of 7
- Has no bitter aftertaste
- Does not contain aspartame
- Ideal for low carbohydrate diets
- Prevents tooth decay
- Alkalines saliva ph
- Stimulates saliva helping dry mouth
- Reduces gum problems by preventing plaque accumulation
- Freshens breath
- 75% less carbohydrates than sugar
- Reduces carbohydrate cravings
- Has a slow and steady release of energy
Xylitol is available from most good health food stores and can replace sugar one for one in recipes.
Our team will be sharing some great recipes using Xylitol in future posts.