There is something about cooler, shorter days that makes me want to eat soup. Its a great way to sneak vegetables into the kids and they don’t even realise they are eating it! With our previous blog post on the nutritional value of nutmeg, I searched for a pumpkin soup recipe calling for nutmeg. I came across this delicious recipe on The Paleo Mom website and had to test it at home (I am pleased to report that it was a roaring success!) & then share it!
Hope your family enjoys it as much as mine did!
- 2 medium pumpkins
- 1 lb bacon
- 2 cups chicken bone broth (find the recipe for the broth here)
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Cook bacon until crispy. My preferred method is to lay out the bacon strips on a tray (I used 2 cookie sheets for this recipe). Place in a cold oven and turn the oven on the 400F. Around the time the oven is done preheating, the bacon is ready. Remove the bacon from the cookie sheet(s) and reserve the bacon grease. Once bacon has cooled, cut or crumble into large bacon bits.
- Preheat oven to 375F (if you do this step immediately after cooking the bacon, it’s fine if your oven starts a little hot).
- Cut your pumpkins in half (careful!). Scoop out the seeds. Place your pumpkin halves on a tray (I did it cut side up, but it doesn’t really matter). Bake for 35-45 minutes, until soft. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Spoon pumpkin meat out of the peel. Mash with a fork or potato masher for an uneven textured soup or a blender for a for a finer-textured soup.
- Heat 2-3 Tbsp of bacon grease in a medium stock pot over medium-high heat. Add diced onions and garlic and sauté until onions are fully cooked and caramelised.
- Add broth to deglaze the pot. Add mashed pumpkin, nutmeg and 2-3 additional Tbsp of bacon grease (you want 4-5 Tbsp total; it’s a good idea to add a little less and then taste your soup and decide if you want it to be more bacony).
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and bring to a simmer.
- Serve the soup by ladling into a bowl and generously topping with bacon bits. Enjoy!
Give us a call on 07 3511 1399 and discuss how we can help you create a safer, healthy, beautiful smile.